eral Medical Council (GMC) has updated its practical skills and procedures list newly qualified doctors.
The list, that sets out what procedures newly qualified doctors need to be able to demonstrate when they finish medical school, was updated earlier this month (Tuesday 9 April) by the GMC.
The GMC confirmed that the core procedures remain unchanged from the previous list, published in 2009, but several new skills are introduced, including ophthalmoscopy (eye examination) and otoscopy (ear examination).
The new list also sets out whether newly qualified doctors need to be able to perform procedures on a patient on their own or under supervision from a senior colleague.
Medical schools and training providers have until 2020 to include the new procedures in their curricula.
The practical skills and procedures list was updated following a public consultation and public consultation and extensive engagement involving students, medical schools and postgraduate stakeholders. The GMC said the consultation “…highlighted a previous lack of consistency in whether students were meant to perform procedures on a patient or within a simulation, which has been clarified in the new list.”
I am a GMC Defence Barrister who has represented large number of medical professionals before their regulatory bodies in either first instance proceedings or appeals. I can help with all matters relating to GMC Fitness to Practise Referrals issues including:
- GMC fitness to practise referrals
- GMC fitness to practise hearings
- Appeals against a MPTS Tribunal determination
- MPTS Interim Order hearings
- Appeals against a MPTS Interim Orders Tribunal determination
- Preparing your case before the Case Examiners
- Help with the decision of the Case Examiners
- Help with voluntary removal
- Registration advice
- Appeal against refusal of registration
- Restoration to the Register
- Investigation and disciplinary hearings at work
- Criminal investigation and proceedings
- Police cautions
- DBS [Disclosure and Barring Service] issues
We are expert GMC Defence Barristers
Speak to an expert GMC Defence Barrister for expert legal advice and help.