The GMC will only make fitness to practise information requests to doctors during the Covid-19 pandemic if there is ‘an immediate patient safety concern’.
According to Pulse, the GMC said “…it appreciates the pressure doctors are currently under and therefore wants to ‘limit the impact’ of complaints and investigations.”
Anthony Omo, general counsel and director of FTP for the GMC, is reported to have said: “We appreciate the pressure on doctors and the UK’s health services and want to limit the impact of complaints and investigations.
“We’re continuing to assess and respond to concerns received, but we are changing how we seek information from employers and doctors. We will only make a request if it involves an immediate patient safety concern. This means that we may not be able to progress some cases as efficiently as we would normally, or at all, for the time being.
“If this happens, we’ll communicate with those involved and support them as best we can. Any doctor currently involved in a fitness to practise case can get in touch with us about their individual case.”
The GMC will continue its casework during the crisis but will only consider any new referrals or complaints, and any new information on existing cases, in order to determine whether there are any immediate public safety concerns.
I am a GMC Defence Barrister who has represented large number of medical professionals before their regulatory bodies in either first instance proceedings or appeals. I can help with all matters relating to GMC Fitness to Practise Referrals issues including:
- GMC fitness to practise referrals
- GMC fitness to practise hearings
- Appeals against a MPTS Tribunal determination
- MPTS Interim Order hearings
- Appeals against a MPTS Interim Orders Tribunal determination
- Preparing your case before the Case Examiners
- Help with the decision of the Case Examiners
- Help with voluntary removal
- Registration advice
- Appeal against refusal of registration
- Restoration to the Register
- Investigation and disciplinary hearings at work
- Criminal investigation and proceedings
- Police cautions
- DBS [Disclosure and Barring Service] issues
We are expert GMC Defence Barristers
Speak to an expert GMC Defence Barrister for expert legal advice and help.