In a previous article, I wrote about the protections for whistleblowing doctors.
Following on from this, the GMC has recently announced that doctors will receive training support to call out unprofessional behaviours from colleagues which can affect patient safety and outcomes.
The GMC said that training has been developed in response to growing evidence that, although the vast majority of doctors deliver great care for their patients, unprofessional behaviour by some has a direct impact on the safe care of patients.
As reflected in my previous article, the GMC said that difficulties in challenging unprofessional behaviour in the workplace has been a feature of several major health inquiries of recent years. A GMC survey of more than 1,000 doctors found that 40 per cent of doctors felt that other doctors undermine respect and prevent effective collaboration, and that nearly 60 per cent of doctors would not be confident that they’d be supported by clinical leaders and other managers if they raised a concern.
The GMC will be collaborating with the Royal College of Physicians, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh and Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists to develop a pilot programme of evidence-based training, Professional behaviours and patient safety, to be delivered face to face with doctors across the UK.
I am a GMC Defence Barrister who has represented large number of medical professionals before their regulatory bodies in either first instance proceedings or appeals. I can help with all matters relating to GMC Fitness to Practise Referrals issues including:
- GMC fitness to practise referrals
- GMC fitness to practise hearings
- Appeals against a MPTS Tribunal determination
- MPTS Interim Order hearings
- Appeals against a MPTS Interim Orders Tribunal determination
- Preparing your case before the Case Examiners
- Help with the decision of the Case Examiners
- Help with voluntary removal
- Registration advice
- Appeal against refusal of registration
- Restoration to the Register
- Investigation and disciplinary hearings at work
- Criminal investigation and proceedings
- Police cautions
- DBS [Disclosure and Barring Service] issues
We are expert GMC Defence Barristers
Speak to an expert GMC Defence Barrister for expert legal advice and help.