The General Medical Council (GMC) has confirmed fitness to practise hearings will restart in July.
Last week we reported that the NMC have put forward plans to restart fitness to practise hearings for nurses, midwives and nursing associates. Following on from this, the GMC has now said it will restart fitness to practise hearings for doctors.
In the months between March and June, the GMC suspended fitness to practise hearings partly due to movement restrictions but also to allow doctors to focus on the fight against the coronavirus.
Following the easing of lockdown restrictions, the GMC said:
“From the start of July, after careful consideration and in agreement with responsible officers, existing fitness to practise cases will be progressed again where possible. This work is being undertaken with the understanding that many individuals and organisations remain under pressure and any potential impact needs to be proportionate.”
Charlie Massey, CEO of the GMC continued:
“Investigations are difficult for everyone involved, but we’re mindful that delaying our decisions any longer could cause additional stress, so we need to take a balanced approach. This work will progress in direct discussion with affected doctors, medical defence and support organisations, employers and complainants.
“And because different parts of the system and health service experience the impact of the pandemic in different ways, we’ll be flexible on timescales, and we will highlight the support available to everyone involved.”
Finally, the GCM also confirmed that it will continue to review concerns that are raised to protect patient safety and will begin to open new cases in the coming weeks.
I am a GMC Defence Barrister who has represented large number of medical professionals before their regulatory bodies in either first instance proceedings or appeals. I can help with all matters relating to GMC Fitness to Practise Referrals issues including:
- GMC fitness to practise referrals
- GMC fitness to practise hearings
- Appeals against a MPTS Tribunal determination
- MPTS Interim Order hearings
- Appeals against a MPTS Interim Orders Tribunal determination
- Preparing your case before the Case Examiners
- Help with the decision of the Case Examiners
- Help with voluntary removal
- Registration advice
- Appeal against refusal of registration
- Restoration to the Register
- Investigation and disciplinary hearings at work
- Criminal investigation and proceedings
- Police cautions
- DBS [Disclosure and Barring Service] issues
We are expert GMC Defence Barristers
Speak to an expert GMC Defence Barrister for expert legal advice and help.